Welcome to the Skyline College Academic Senate
Academic Senate office hours for Fall 2014 are Mondays 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in room 8-303.
Responsibilities of the Academic Senate (the "10+1")
The Academic Senate addresses all academic and professional matters outlined in the "10+1," or the 11 areas of responsibilities created by legislation AB 1725 which amended Title 5, Section 53200. The 10+1 are listed here. The SMCCCD Board of Trustees has agreed to rely primarily upon the expertise of the senate in academic and professional matters (Board Policy 2.09).
ASCCC Conferences, Institutes, and Plenary Information
- Spring 2014 State Plenary information
- Resolutions from Fall 2013 State Plenary
- Fall 2013 State Plenary scheduled for November 7-November 10, 2013, Irvine Marriott. Information here.
- ASCCC Regional Curriculum Meeting November 16, 2013, Laney College. Information here.
- Resolutions and Papers from Spring 2013 State Plenary
- ASCCC Academic Academy Institute (focusing on GE) in Napa, CA Feb 21-22, 2014. Information here.
- News: Cabrillo college circulates a petition campaign to revise repeatability rules in the areas of physical education and the arts.
- AB 86: Provides funding for CCCs and Adult Education to create consortia to develop plans for the alignment of services in basic skills, ESL, and other community course needs.
- AB 955: Community Colleges: Intersession extension programs. (Williams) Has been signed into law. This allows a pre-selected group of colleges to offer intersessions at full cost, creating a two-tiered fee system. This is a short-term experiment that will be reviewed at its conclusion.
- SB 440: Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (Padilla) Among other things, aims to force compliance of CSUs/UCs to transfer agreements.
- SB 520: California Online Student Access Platform (Steinberg) ASCCC and most teachers' unions were opposed to this bill when it came out - it has gone through several amendments.
- SB 1143: (Student Success Task Force legislation) Look at the SSTF Information page on the left, and stay informed.
- Visit FACCC legislative hot list to track legislation
Other Vital Information
- Degreewithaguarantee.com CCCs' and CSU's joint website, "Degree with A Guarantee," which provides comprehensive information about the new Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T/AS-T) pathway that lets students earn an associate degree and a bachelor’s degree with no wasted units.
- SB 1440: Transfer Model Curriculum (AA-T and AS-T): State Academic Senate article "Articulation for Non-experts" offers a good explanation of SB 1440.
- Meyer Award Nomination Form
- For Governing Council members:Academic Senate Sharepoint site
Message to Skyline Faculty from outgoing AS President Shaw:
Thank you for a wonderful two years as your Senate president, and I look forward to serving again in the future. Please join me in supporting President Kate Williams Browne and let's continue to be as engaged in faculty matters as we have been these last few years.
Our mission is to empower and transform a global community of learners.