The Learning Center
Welcome back! The Learning Center is open for in-person services, computer use, and study space.
Welcome to the Learning Center!
The Learning Center is open for in-person and online services. We are committed to providing you with the same great service, support, and care. Please come in to see us or watch this video for an overview of our online services: Learning Center Virtual Tour
For information about drop-in tutoring and tutoring by appointment please click on Tutoring in the page menu. For information about our services and programs please go to the program page in the page menu or reach out to Learning Center staff via chat, text, or email.
Skyline College, Faculty!
Do you want a Learning Center staff member to visit your in-person or virtual classroom and give your students a Learning Center tour?
Please submit a faculty request for an in-person or virtual TLC tour, or post our short Learning Center Virtual Tour in your Canvas shell.
Enhance your learning
The Learning Center (part of the Learning Commons which includes the Skyline College Library) is here to support your education by providing the resources you need to succeed outside the classroom.
Whether you’re looking for tutoring, workshops, or other academic resources, our team of student assistants, peer and graduate tutors and knowledgeable faculty and staff are ready to empower you to make the most of your academic experience at Skyline College.
Find the resources you need to reach your goals!
All tutoring at the Learning Center is done through the Learning Center Labs in a variety of subjects:
- Writing and Reading Tutoring is offered through the Writing and Reading Lab which assists students with any reading or writing assignment in a non-ESOL Skyline College course.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Tutoring is offered through the ESOL Lab which provides tutoring for students enrolled in ESOL courses and materials for students to practice the English language.
- World Languages support is offered through one-on-one tutoring to support Spanish classes, and conversation groups that support areas such as American Sign Language (ASL), Spanish, and Tagalog.
- Math Tutoring is offered through the Math Lab for students enrolled in all levels of math.
- Science, Social Science and Business Tutoring is offered through the Science, Social Science and Business Lab which provides tutoring in Biology, Chemistry and Physics in addition to Accounting, Economics and Business courses.
Supplemental Instruction is designed to help students succeed in traditionally difficult courses through group learning sessions.
Sessions are facilitated by student leaders who have previously successfully completed the targeted course and have received comprehensive training.
During a typical session, students engage in collaborative learning, compare and clarify lecture notes, review textbook readings, and discuss key course concepts. Student leaders do not lecture or replicate the work of faculty.
The Learning Center offers Academic Skills Workshops on a variety of educational topics throughout the year.
Make sure to check the workshop schedule for upcoming sessions.
Peer Mentoring is designed to help students maximize their educational experience and have a fulfilling and successful education at Skyline College in a one-on-one and group setting. Peer Mentors assist students through the obstacles that arise during the semester to help students create positive and effective habits that lead to academic, professional, and personal success. Peer Mentors are here to provide a positive environment to help ease the adjustment to college life!
Benefits of being a mentee?
- Improve study skills
- Improve time management skills
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Develop positive daily routines and habits
- Adjust to college culture
- Increase sense of belonging