Constitution of the Skyline College Academic SenateAmended by vote of the Skyline College Academic Senate May 2016
We, the faculty of Skyline College do hereby establish the Academic Senate, in order to promote the best interests of higher education at Skyline College and the San Mateo Community College District.
The name of this organization shall be the Skyline College Academic Senate (herein referred to as the Senate).
It shall be the purpose of the Skyline College Academic Senate to make recommendations regarding academic and professional matters to District Academic Senate, the College and District administration, the Board of Trustees, and to other appropriate individuals and bodies.
The Board of Trustees shall ensure the right of the Senate to assume primary responsibility with respect to academic and professional matters, including exercise of the authority to appoint faculty to committees or groups dealing with academic and professional matters as specified in Title 5, Section 53203(f), and full participation in collegial consultation processes. Academic and professional matters as defined in Title 5, Section 53200, include the following:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisites
- Degree and certificate requirements
- Grading policies
- Educational program development
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success
- College governance structures, as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Processes for program review
- Processes for instructional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon
Powers and Responsibilities
All powers and responsibilities of the Senate are derived from Title 5.