Applying for Benefits or Changing Your Place of Training

VA Educational Benefits Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, and 1606

Individuals applying for chapter 30, 31, 33, 35, and 1606 benefits or those already using the benefits but wish to change their place of training must submit the appropriate application to the VA. Information about each benefit and online applications can be found on the VA's Education and Training page . After completing the application, print a copy for your records.

For further questions about which form to use, benefit eligibility or the status of applications, please contact the VA Educational Benefits Toll-free number: 1-888-442-4551

GI Bill®
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at


  • Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®)
  • Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill® - Transfer of Entitlement)
  • Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty)
  • Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation): Veterans who qualify for educational benefits as disabled veterans may be entitled to special educational benefits. Veterans should visit the Veterans Administration Regional Office, 1301 Clay Street, North Tower, Oakland, CA 94612, to determine their eligibility for disabled status (telephone: 1-800-827-1000).
  • Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Reservists)
  • Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance)

Please visit the GI-Bill® website to find out more information regarding educational benefits or call the VA Educational Benefits Toll-free number: 888-442-4551

Active Duty Tuition Assistance:

For more information on application process and eligibility, contact your military educational office.

Dependents and Survivors Education Assistance Program:

Information, eligibility criteria and next steps for application are available on the Department of Veteran Affairs Website

Tuition Fee Waiver for Dependents of Service-Connected Disabled or Deceased Veterans:

For more information about the application, go to the CalVet Website.

A County Veteran Services Officer can help determine eligibility of the applicant and submit application. Once applicant has received eligibility documentation from the County Veteran Service Officer this documentation goes to the Financial Aid Office. For a list of CVSO’s please visit the Vet Services Page. See below for steps to use the CalVet Fee Waiver at Skyline College:

Certification Process for VA Educational Benefits

VA Educational Benefits Chapter 30, 31, 33, 35, and 1606:

If you are eligible for and plan to use VA Educational Benefits, you will need to submit the following documents to the School Certifying Official before your classes can be certified:

School Certifying Officials

Bianca Pineda, Admission and Records

Emma Wu, Admission and Records

If you plan to use VA Educational Benefits Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, or 1606, you will need to submit the following documents to the School Certifying Officials before your classes can be certified:

  • DD214
  • Certificate of Eligibility** obtained from the VA after you have submitted the Veterans Online Application
    • (Note: if you have used your benefit at another college and plan to make Skyline College your primary place of training (parent school), you may need to change your place of training with the VA. Click HERE for more information).
  • Student Educational Plan
    • Please note, only classes listed on your Educational Plan and required for your educational goal will be certified.
  • Completed Veteran's Benefits Statement of Responsibility form  
  • Completed Veterans Certification Request form  
**A note on Letter of Eligibility: For Chapters 30, 33 and 35- You will receive the letter of eligibility from the VA in the mail after you apply for Educational Benefits or change your place of training to Skyline College. For Chapter 31- This is form 28-1905 which is to be filled out by your Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Counselor and sent to our School Certifying Official(s). If you are a Reservist using Chapter 1606, you will need to submit the Notice of Basic Eligibility.

Tuition Fee Waiver for Dependents of Service-Connected Disabled or Deceased Veterans

Steps to utilize CalVet Fee Waiver at Skyline College

  • View Application & Additional Information at: http://ww lege-Fee-Waiver.aspx
  • Receive Eligibility Letter from a County Veterans Service Office. Note: To determine eligibility, submit an application, or to receive eligibility documentation, please contact San Mateo County Veterans Service Office (CVSO) at 650-802-6598.
  • Log into WEBSMART and apply for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG).

         * Note that you are a dependent of a Veteran using the Calvet Fee Waiver when asked in the application process. You will receive an alert in WEBSMART requesting you to submit your Letter of Eligibility after completing this step.

  • Submit CalVet Fee Waiver eligibility letter to the Financial Aid Office securely via DropBox . All Documents must have your Student ID Number (G#), be legible and completely filled out with the appropriate wet signatures if required. Learn how to submit documents securely to Financial Aid here:

For questions about submitting documents to Financial Aid or processing CalVet Fee Waiver, contact or call (650) 738-4236.

Note: If you are eligible and plan to use this benefit for multiple academic years, you will need to obtain a new letter each academic year from the CVSO.

Important Additional Information

In order to receive your VA Educational Benefits, only classes listed on the Student Educational Plan (SEP) that you complete with a veterans academic counselor at your parent school that are required for your declared program of student can be certified. You must provide the School Certifying Official(s) with an updated copy of your SEP and Veterans Certification Request Form each semester and notify them if you add or remove courses from your plan and/or make any changes to your schedule. If the VA Certifying Official does not have up to date forms, you are at risk of decertification. You are also responsible to check the course modality (resident vs. distance learning) and the start and end dates of classes.

You must have an Educational Objective and major/ program of study on file. If you wish to change your educational objective (major), it will need to be done in consultation with a veterans counselor and you must notify the certifying official immediately. Changing your objective requires obtaining a new SEP from an academic counselor and may impact certification of benefits.

You must contact the VA on the last day of each month or within the first week of each month to verify your enrollment. You can call (877) 823-2378 or go online at for enrollment verification.

In order to collect your monthly allowance, you must be certified for 7 units or more (more than half-time) in the fall and spring semesters and 6 units in the summer semester. If your certification drops to half-time or below, you will stop receiving a monthly payment. Veterans must be enrolled full-time to receive 100% of their Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) entitlement.

If you withdraw, drop, or receiving a failing grade, this may lead to an overpayment and a debt. If an overpayment is created resulting in a debt you may be responsible for repaying the VA for tuition and fees, books, and basic housing allowance. The amount of the overpayment may vary depending on the date in which you withdraw, drop, or receive a failing grade.

Reminders for Certification Every Semester

If you are receiving educational benefits (Chapter 30, 31, 33, 35, and 1606), you must provide the VA Certifying Official with an updated Student Educational Plan (SEP) obtained from a Veterans Educational Counselor and completed Veterans Certification Request Form   each semester! Complete and submit this form after you have registered for classes. Only classes listed on your SEP and required for your declared VA approved program of study will be certified.

Veterans, Reservists, Active Duty Service Members and Dependents receiving educational benefits will be subject to Academic Standards for Continued Eligibility. See online catalog for more details.