Assessment is about finding your starting point in college. If you plan to earn a degree or certificate, transfer to a four-year institution, or take a math or English course, you may need to assess your skill level before you register for classes.
As a California Community College student, you have the right to begin your education in transfer-level English and math courses, which may allow you to finish these courses within a year and graduate faster.
English Language Learners at Skyline College also have the right to access transfer-level coursework and academic credit English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) coursework at Skyline.
Skyline College offers students multiple measures assessment to determine your appropriate English/ESOL and math course recommendations. Your next step depends on your student type.
Please start with your English/Math Assessment Request if you are:
- First-time college student
- High school graduating senior (completed at least the Fall term)
- Transferring to Skyline College from another college (other than Cañada College or College of San Mateo)
- Returning/ Former students from Skyline, CSM, or Canada
- Continuing student from Skyline, CSM, or Canada
Please start with scheduling an Assessment Appointment (placement test) if you are:
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) student
- International student
- Referred by a Skyline College Counselor
Please start with your High School English/ Math Placement if you are:
- 9th - 12th grade Concurrent enrollment student
*When emailing us your assessment related inquiries, please include your full name, student ID number, and whether you have submitted your English/Math request (Assessment for new Skyline College students/ Placement for concurrent High School students)