NOTE: Please visit the Skyline College Catalog for a complete listing of General Degree Requirements.

Graduation Requirements for AA or AS Degree Programs

Major Requirement A minimum of 18 units must be completed in a major. Some majors require the completion of more than 18 semester units.
Ethnic & Cultural Diversity Requirement 3 units
American History & Institutions Requirement 6 units
Physical Education Requirement Two activity-based courses
General Education Requirement 19 units
General Electives Additional courses to meet 60 unit minimum
Total: 60 units to meet associate degree requirement

Associate Degree Requirement Checklist

The checklist below is a guide to help you in selecting courses and keeping track of your progress. You are strongly encouraged to meet with your counselor to review your selections and to complete a Student Education Plan, which will assist you in keeping track of your progress and in reaching your educational goals.

Graduation Requirements for Certificate Programs

Fifty (50) percent of the total units required for the Certificate must be completed at Skyline College. Units earned to meet certificate requirements may be applied toward the 60 units required for an AA or AS degree and may also satisfy the major requirement for an Associate’s Degree.

Graduation Requirements for the Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T)

The Associate in Arts (AA-T) or Associate in Science (AS-T) degrees are designed to provide a clear pathway to a CSU major and baccalaureate degree. California Community College students who are awarded an AA-T or AS-T degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing to the CSU system and given priority admission consideration to their local CSU campus or to a program that is deemed similar to their community college major. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or campuses.

Students who have been awarded an AA-T or AS-T are able to complete their remaining requirements for the 120- unit baccalaureate degree within 60 semester or 90 quarter units. To view the most current list of Skyline College Associate Degrees for Transfer and to find out which CSU campuses accept each degree, please visit the Transfer Center website. Current and prospective community college students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review their options for transfer and to develop a Student Educational Plan (SEP) that best meets their goals and needs.

Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT) were developed in response to Senate Bill 1440 (Padilla, 2010) and subsequent revisions to Education Code section 66746(a) that required community colleges to develop and offer “associate degrees for transfer” which fulfill the lower division component of a baccalaureate major at a California State University. These degrees allow students to fulfill lower division major requirements at a community college and guarantee transfer with junior status to the CSU system. Students who complete an ADT and transfer to a similar major at a CSU are guaranteed a pathway to finish their baccalaureate degree in 60 semester units. These degrees require students to meet both of the following requirements:

The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:

  1. Completion of 60 semester units that are eligible for transfer to California State University, including both of the following:

    • The Intersegmental GE Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University GE-Breadth Requirements (CSU GE-Breadth).
    • A minimum of 18 semester units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
  2. Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.

ADTs include both Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) and Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees. The law authorizing these degrees also requires that students must earn a “C” or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis. A “P” (Pass) grade is also an acceptable grade for courses in the major if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.”

This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transferrequirements.