What is Federal Work-Study (FWS)?
Federal Work-Study gives students the opportunity to work on or off campus in order to earn money to pay for educational expenses as a type of financial aid.
Federal Work-Study students are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week with various programs and departments. Positions include: office aides, tutors, childcare assistants, lab assistants, library aides, etc. Students receive a paycheck every 15th of the month for the hours worked.
How to Apply
America Counts Tutoring Program
Since our inception in Spring 2004, we have provided over 12,000 hours of community service. Skyline College's Financial Aid Office in coordination with the The Learning Center and local elementary schools are committed to a continued effort in improving the education of our future leaders.
Requirements for the Tutoring Program
- Receive financial aid for the current academic year
- Not be over 90 units or on probation
- English tutors: placed in ENGL 846 or higher
- Math tutors: placed in MATH 110 or higher
- Ability to make a one year commitment
How to Apply
Fill out an Application and return it to the Financial Aid Office.
- Provide long-term and focused tutorial assistance to elementary school-aged children underachieving in reading and math
- Provide systematic training to Skyline College undergraduate students in strategies for tutoring
- Provide a high quality mentoring program that enriches learning opportunities for both college and elementary school students
- Assist community college students by enhancing their education and commitment in learning while serving the community
- To motivate others, especially college-aged students, to work with their community schools to help bring about change in young students' lives.
- To show how, through Service-Learning, everyone benefits. Whether it is the student who learns to read at a level-higher, or the volunteer who learns that by helping one child succeed and learn, society has one more adult that can read and write.
For more information regarding the Federal Work-Study or America Counts Tutoring Program contact:
Aileen Conmigo Phuong