Become a Peer Mentor
PEER MENTORS help students (mentees) identify and utilize the campus and community resources necessary for academic and social success at Skyline College. They help create conditions where mentees feel comfortable sharing their perspectives on challenges and setting goals. Additionally, Peer Mentors build strong relationships with mentees through small group activities and one-on-one meetings.
- Conduct 1-on-1 meetings (online and in person).
- Plan and facilitate academic and soft-skills workshops.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of common campus resources and refer mentees as necessary.
- Explore and connect to Skyline College services.
- Help other students improve time management and study skills.
- Attend mandatory orientation and ongoing professional development training.
- Maintain regular communication with the Peer Mentor lead.
- Other administrative duties as requested.
Requirements for Mentors
- Mentors are obligated to report in-person for their shift.
- Must be a continuing student and have successfully completed a full academic year at Skyline College (2 semesters).
- Must be available to work a minimum of 6 hours per week.
- Each shift must be a minimum of 2 hours.
- Maintain at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA and be enrolled in at least 6 academic units.
- Ability to plan, organize, and execute events in collaboration with other mentors and campus units.
- Must demonstrate respect for, and awareness of, the diverse cultures, languages and experience of Skyline College students.
Training & Time Commitment
- All Mentors MUST be able to do the following:
- Complete the interview process.
- Attend training during the week preceding the start of each semester.
- Failure to attend training can cause termination
- Training is paid
- Mentors may work up to 8 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Additional hours may be required.
Applications & Tools Mentors Use
How to Apply
To apply, you must submit the following materials (materials will be uploaded through the Online Application).
- Online Application
- Resume – your most current resume
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial transcript (can be downloaded from Websmart)
All applicants will be notified about their application status once the application is complete. Please contact TLC with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.