Jump Start Program
Designed for current high school sophomores, juniors, or seniors interested in attending college!
Jump Start is a six-week summer program designed to help high school students with college potential upgrade their skills in English, math, critical thinking, and college success skills.
Students will be concurrently enrolled at Skyline College, receiving college credit for the courses they take when they complete the program.
The program is held every summer, beginning in June and ending in July. Classes will be held Monday-Thursday from 9am-3pm and Fridays from 9am-12pm.
Students can expect to:
- Build foundational skills that enables them to succeed in college level courses.
- Receive instruction that is presented in a non-intimidating manner and engages a variety of learning intelligences.
- Receive opportunities to explore future career paths and related college majors in a realistic context.
- Be a part of a supportive environment that fosters self-awareness and self-responsibility, sets clear expectations and motivates students to meet challenges.
- Student must be a California Resident.
- Student must be enrolled at a North County high school as a Junior or Senior next Fall.
- Student should have a grade point average of 2.00 or below.
- Student must be nominated by a teacher, counselor, or school administrator
The Jump Start Program curriculum includes the following concurrent enrollment courses:
- English 819 – 3.00 units of college credit
- Math 819 – 3.00 units of college credit
- Counseling 101 & Career 116 – 1.5 units of college credit
- Learning Skills 800 – 0.5 unit of college credit
Each course is graded separately. In order to receive college credit, students need a grade of C or higher or a P (Pass).
No Direct Costs:
There are no direct costs to participants of the Jump Start Program. Students will receive all materials required in the program and courses electronically.
6-week program spanning June 13 - July 22
Monday - Thursday, 9:00am to 3:00pm
Friday 9:00am to 12:00pm
Application and Nomination Process:
Follow these steps to apply to the Jump Start Program:
- Complete the Jump Start Application.
- Fill out the free application to Skyline College via CCCApply.
- Have a parent or guardian complete the Consent Form.
- The parent will then receive a message that the student application was submitted and to check emails coming from CCC Apply and Skyline Admissions
- Obtain a recommendation from your high school counselor. Counselors can submit recommendations here.
- All forms were due April 28, 2023.
- The full application includes: Jump Start Program Application, CCCApply college application, Counselor Recommendation, and Consent Form.
- Application deadline was April 28, 2023
- Interviews began the week of May 8, 2023