Course Prerequisite Challenge Process
Beginning with the Fall 2011 registration, many courses with prerequisites requirements are subject to computerized prerequisite checking.
Registration is blocked for students who do not meet prerequisite and/or corequisite requirements.
For information on Prerequisite, Corequisites, and Recommendations, click here.
Who may want to challenge a prerequisite?
A student who has not completed the stated prerequisite course or a student who has not achieved a qualifying score on a placement test score to meet the stated prerequisite or co-requisite for a course which he/she wants to register in.
Students are advised to determine if they qualify to file a Prerequisite Equivalency petition prior to filing a Prerequisite Challenge petition. Read more about the Prerequisite Equivalency Process.
When can a student challenge a stated prerequisite?
You can challenge a prerequisite on one or more of the following grounds:
- If you believe you have the knowledge or ability to succeed in the course without completing the prerequisite.
- If you believe that the prerequisite has been established in violation of Title 5 regulations or the SMCCCD District Model Policy.
- If you believe that the prerequisite is discriminatory or is being applied in a discriminatory manner.
- If you believe that the prerequisite course has not been made reasonably available.
How do I challenge a prerequisite?
For a handout on the Challenge Process click here.
Complete the Prerequisite Challenge Petition. Paper applications can be found at the One-Stop Center, Building Two, Second Floor.
Attach the following documents to your petition:
- A formal letter explaining the reason you are challenging the prerequisite or corequisite. Include in the letter a detailed description of how you meet the prerequisite requirement.
- Additional supporting documentation, such as: college transcripts as evidence of successful course completion, catalog course description, course outline/and or course syllabus, documentation of professional work experience, high school transcripts (if relevant), letters of recommendation from employers or instructors, samples of graded papers, professional licenses or certificates.
Submit your Prerequisite Challenge Petition, along with appropriate documentation, to the appropriate Division Office. Click here for a PDF document with a list of Division Offices.
Await response from the Division Office regarding the status of your petition. You will be notified within 5 working days of receipt of your petition.
- You must submit your completed challenge packet no later than five (5) working days prior to the published last day of the late registration period.
- You will be notified within 5 business days if your challenge is approved. You will be cleared to register for the class only if your petition is approved.
- Questions regarding your prerequisite challenge and any supporting documentation should be directed to the appropriate Division Office.