Prerequisite Equivalency Process
Some colleges have stated prerequisites that must be met before a student can enroll in the course. A prerequisite is course or requirement that must be successfully completed (grade of “C” or better) before taking an advanced course. Students must demonstrate they have met the prerequisite to be allowed to register in the advanced course.
Prerequisites can be met or waived by:
- Completing the prerequisite course(s) within the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD) system, with a grade of “C” or better, or CR (Credit) /P (Pass).
- Completing placement tests within the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD).
- Completing the prerequisite course at another regionally accredited college/university in the United States.
- Completing a placement test at a California Community College (CCC) outside of the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD). (note: placement tests results vary by college. If you have taken a placement test at another CCC, you may submit your results for review using the Prerequisite Equivalency/ Reciprocity of Placement Petition ).
- Meet prerequisites through the College Board Advanced Placement Exam (AP) Exam(s).
Note: Students do not need to schedule a counseling appointment to clear a perquisite. Follow the instructions noted below
Who may want to file a Prerequisite Equivalency/Reciprocity of Placement Petition?
Any student who has completed a prerequisite outside of the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD) – as noted in 3, 4, or 5 above.
What steps should I take to file a petition?
Completing the Prerequisite Equivalency/Reciprocity of Course Placement Petition. Paper applications can be found at the One-Stop Center, Building Two, Second Floor.
Attach the following documents to your petition:
- If you completed a course outside of the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD), you must submit all pages of your official or unofficial transcript (partial transcripts will not be accepted). Documents must show your name, the name of the college, and your college id number.
- If you completed a placement test at a California Community College outside of the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCD), you must submit a copy of your placement recommendation (Note: The math placement test must have been completed within the last two years; the English placement test has no time limit).
- If you completed an AP test, submit a copy of your AP scores issued to you by the College Board.
Submit your petition with the supporting documentation to the One-Stop Center, Building Two, Second Floor. Documents can be submitted in-person, via fax at (650) 738-4195, or via email.
When will I know the status of my petition?
Your petition will be reviewed within 2 -3 working days. You will be notified of the status of your petition, either by telephone or email, within this time frame.
What can I do if my petition is denied?
If your petition is denied, you may elect to challenge the prerequisite course.