Cosmetology & Esthetics Programs at Skyline College
The Cosmetology & Esthetic Industry
The cosmetology and esthetic industry, also known as the beauty industry, encompasses hair care, hair color, skincare, makeup, fragrance and nail care. The beauty industry is a billion dollar global industry. With a growing population, the demand for hair care and skincare services and products will continue to rise. Cosmetologists and Estheticians must undergo extensive study and training and be licensed by their state’s certifying board to practice their craft. Licensed professionals have the opportunity to work within a unique and multifaceted career as services providers, business owners, educators, cosmetic chemists, freelance artists and so much more. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for barbers, stylists, and cosmetologists will increase by 8% between 2018 and 2028, and careers in esthetics are growing at 17% between 2019 and 2029. That's a faster job growth rate than the average of all jobs they analyze!
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program students will be able to:
- Complete 1600 hours in the Cosmetology Program or 600 hours in the Esthetician Program.
- Successfully pass the California State Board Cosmetology or Esthetician written and practical exam.
- Identify career and continuing educational options in the field of cosmetology or esthetics and plan action towards achieving those goals and objectives.
- Apply theories, principles, and concepts to learn additional skills needed as a cosmetologist or esthetician.
- Exhibit strong and effective written and oral communication skills. Critically consider, analyze and research special issues in cosmetology and their effects on society.
- Recognize the importance of and practice ethical behavior in a professional work setting, both within the work force and within the community.
California Board of Barber and Cosmetology Examination Results
As of June 30, 2021, Skyline College Cosmetology Certificate Program has a written examination result of 100% passing and has a practical examination result of 100% passing.
As of June 30, 2021, Skyline College Esthetician Certificate Program has a written examination result of 93% passing and has a practical examination result of 85% passing.
Visit the California Board of Barber and Cosmetology website for additional information.