Leadership Standards of Excellence
Lead with Integrity - Expect Excellence
Leading with integrity requires open and honest communication in an environment of transparency. Leadership will demonstrate professionalism in all efforts and interactions. We will achieve excellence in an environment that allows for risk, innovation, and creativity. We will give what is seeded time to flourish in order to promote a culture of continuous improvement. We will expect excellence from ourselves and from each other, instilling a sense of optimism even in the face of challenges.
Effective leadership requires confronting hard facts, challenging assumptions, and using data to guide our actions and decisions. The leadership will engage in meaningful research in order to meet challenges with impactful, data-driven solutions that drive the College forward. We will be willing to make difficult decisions in order to achieve positive, beneficial and lasting results.
Act as a Team of Learners and Teachers
Acting as a team requires us to collaborate together, but also to think openly and independently and to actively foster an environment that supports a wide variety of viewpoints. The leadership will recognize the value of alternative opinions, acknowledging that a constructive dialogue and healthy debate lead to more robust ideas and strategies. We will hold ourselves and each other accountable while simultaneously empowering and supporting each other to achieve excellence.
A deliberate focus is needed in order to truly live up to our College’s mission to empower and transform a global community of learners. The leadership will always act with the well-being of the student as our driving force. We will set clear goals, identify benchmarks for success, measure results, and be disciplined in our implementation in order to achieve results. We will consistently reinforce the College’s commitment to social justice, equity and access which requires us to think and act with passion, purpose, and humility, to be intentional and deliberate, and to know when to challenge the status quo.
Skyline College will...
- be the number one community college in California for students who have been historically underrepresented in higher education, providing high quality programs that allow students to achieve their goals.
- be the employer of choice for college faculty, staff and administration, attracting the most dedicated and talented minds.
- eliminate equity gaps in student success by promoting a comprehensive understanding of systemic issues that impact student success and a commitment to addressing those issues.
- be regarded as the most innovative college in the district, region, state and nation.
- be the central community resource and heart of the community for arts, athletics, speakers, and other events in San Mateo County and beyond.
As a result of our commitment to these goals:
- Placement rates into transfer level coursework in Math and English will increase by 50% for incoming students by the beginning of 2017-18 using multiple measures assessment.
- 75% of Skyline College students will achieve on-time degree and certificate completion, and/or transfer according to their educational goal, by 2020-21.
- Skyline College will be ranked among the “Top Ten Great Colleges to Work For” as judged by the Chronicle of Higher Education.