Thank you for your interest in the Surgical Technology Program at Skyline College. The program begins in June and ends in May of the following year.
All application materials must be returned between January 15th and April 1st to be considered for the Program.
Download Application (This application will be accepted between January 15 and April 1, 2015.)
The Surgical Technology Program is a special application program. Twenty (20) applicants will be accepted and 5 others will be placed on a waiting list per year. To be considered for the program, students must meet Skyline College admission requirements, meet the program prerequisites, submit the complete application package, and show evidence of good health.
Admission to the Surgical Technology Program requires the following minimum entrance requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Algebra equivalent to MATH 110 or Math 112
- Human Anatomy equivalent to BIOL 250
- Medical Terminology equivalent to HSCI 484 or BUS 485
- Successful completion of a physical examination, immunization record, social security referenced background check, and drug test (upon acceptance into program).
- Communication in the operating room is of extreme importance. We recommend that applicants be eligible for English 846.
All academic prerequisites must be completed by the end of the semester prior to entrance in the program. Courses in progress may be conditionally accepted pending completion. Verification of work in progress must be submitted in the form of an official mid-term grade report, or a letter from the course instructor. This letter must include the following information: date, name of college, name of student, course name, number, units, letter grade, name and signature of instructor. A final grade report must be submitted prior to beginning classes. Applicants unsure as to which courses meet the prerequisites should consult their college counselor or the counseling department at Skyline College. Phone number 650-738-4317.
Return All Application Materials To:
Office of Admissions and Records
Surgical Technology Application
3300 College Drive
San Bruno, CA 94066
To be considered for admission to the Surgical Technology Program all applicants must:
- Meet all college admission requirements
- Submit a completed Surgical Technology Program application
- Submit a completed Skyline College application if you have not attended Skyline College the prior semester
- Submit official transcripts for all academic work attempted or completed (For work completed at any of the Colleges within the SMCCCD - transcripts may be unofficial).
Note: Allow 3-4 weeks for transcript delivery. Mail transcripts to Admissions and Records, not the Surgical Technology Program.
Note: Foreign transcripts will need evaluation by:
International Education Research Foundation Inc.(http://www.ierf.org/)
Post Office Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Please ask for an evaluation for placement in a community college. It must include description of upper or lower division and grade awarded.
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendation addressing the qualities described in the information packet.
The following are suggested categories for those providing recommendations:
- Dean, counselor, principal
- Teacher or instructor
- Health care workers
- Employer or supervisor
- Leaders of community organizations (volunteer, church, or club)
Do not submit recommendations from relatives.
- Return all completed materials to Skyline College within the application period.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to insure their application is complete.
- Only completed applications will be forwarded to the Surgical Technology Department for consideration.
- Approximately twenty applicants will be accepted and 15 others will be placed on a waiting list.
- Accepted applicants will be notified by mail.
- Prior to the start of the Summer Semester all academic prerequisites must be completed.
- If you need financial aid, please check early with the financial aid office.
- For those students accepted into the program and prior to the start of the Summer Semester, the cleared physical examination, immunization record, social security referenced background check, and drug test must be on file at the Program office.
Clinical Affiliate Requirements
Clinical affiliates require the following. As such, they are required upon entry to the program. Do not send any of these documents until requested to do so.
- Evidence of good health in form of Physical Exam report signed by a practicing physician
- Verification of all immunizations pertinent to health care personnel--TB, Tetanus, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hepatitis B, Chickenpox, RPR
- Cleared social security referenced background check
- Cleared drug screen
The physical demands of surgical technology can be challenging. Read more about the physical expectations of surgical technology.
For Further Information, Please Contact:
3300 College Drive
San Bruno CA. 94066