Frequently Asked Questions
What is Alpha Gamma Sigma?
Alpha Gamma Sigma is a scholastic honors society for California’s community colleges. Established at the Skyline College in 1994, our chapter, Sigma Omicron Chapter, with its long tradition of excellence, is one of the oldest clubs on campus.
What does Alpha Gamma Sigma stand for?
A – Alpha is “Arête”, meaning good character or virtue
Γ - Gamma is “Gnosis”, meaning knowledge
Σ - Sigma is “Sophrosyne”, meaning good judgment
Thus, our motto: “Add to good character, knowledge, and judgment.”
In a diverse range of initiatives, the Sigma Omicron Chapter strives to support each other academically, to work for a positive campus culture, to advocate for the health of academics, and to serve the community at large. Sigma Omicron Chapter is committed to developing future leaders who are motivated to make a difference, both for themselves and for others.
- Current enrollment at a California community college
- Completion of at least 12 semester units with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, unless you have a minimum cumulative high school GPA of 3.5, or are a California Scholarship Federation (CSF) “Life Member”
An initial member may obtain continuing membership by:
- Achieving for the previous semester not less than a 3.00 GPA, AND
- Maintaining a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or better.
Continuing members will receive one semester grace if the member's semester GPA falls
below 3.00, but his/her cumulative GPA is 3.00 or above. There shall be no two consecutive
grace periods. In the event that a student takes all classes credit/no credit, that
semester will count as the grace period if he/she is a continuing member.
Permanent membership is available to continuing members who have met the following requirements:
- completed 60 semester units (at least half must be from a community college)
- maintained a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or better and has been a member of AGS for one semester, OR
- maintained a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or better and has been a member of AGS for two semesters
Students interested in permanent membership should apply through the club's advisors.
Benefits of AGS Membership
- Earn recognition from your peers and Skyline College for your scholastic achievement
- Participate in extra-curricular activities and improve your Transfer applications
- Qualify for various state and chapter scholarships
- Form a strong community with other academically oriented students both locally and statewide and build a network that will benefit you in both the short and long term.
- Gain opportunities to learn, develop, and implement leadership and organizational skills in a safe environment.