Tuesdays & Thursdays  |  August 27 - December 12  |  1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.  |  South San Francisco Adult School

The Hospitality and Tourism Management Adult School Bridge Experience is designed for students interested in careers within the hospitality field (hotels, restaurants, etc). The pilot program was launched in Fall 2015 with the first cohort of students.

The upcoming 2019-2020 cohort is geared toward anyone interested in learning about or gaining skills to work in the hospitality industry. Students will take five classes over two semesters at South San Francisco Adult School. The small campus environment and emphasis on language learning makes it the perfect program for ESL students, adult school students, or community members interested in the hospitality industry.

hospitality ACCEL students
Students on a field trip to the Doubletree Hotel where they toured the facilities and connected with employees.

Students can earn up to 7.5 college credits and obtain a “Guest Service Entry-Level Professional” certificate through Skyline’s Hospitality and Tourism Management Program. English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) instructor at Skyline College, Serena Chu-Mraz teaches the courses. There is available support by a counselor and coordinator to help students finish the program and achieve their career and education goals. There will also be shuttle service between San Mateo Adult School and South San Francisco Adult School for students or community members living in San Mateo.  

Enroll Now!

Interested students can come to the first class on August 27 or contact Stacy Nojima by email (nojimas@smccd.edu) or phone (650) 738-7106 to enroll. Please also contact Stacy Nojima for more information about the shuttle service and/or if you plan to use the shuttle.

Click here for the 2019-2020 program flyer.  


How long is the program?

Students are encouraged to complete the entire year. Classes begin on August 27 and will end in late May.

When and where are the classes held?

Classes are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Classes are held at South San Francisco Adult School, which is located at 825 Southwood Drive, South San Francisco, CA 94080.

Do I need to attend every class?

Attendance is extremely important. For instance, in order to receive the Hospitality ADVANCE certificate, you cannot miss more than 3 classes—3 absences for Hospitality ADVANCE. Typically, 3 tardies count as one absence.

What materials do I need to bring to class?

These are Skyline College courses and you are expected to be prepared for class.  You will need to bring your book or workbook, a notebook, and a pen or pencil. You will also be expected to bring any completed homework your teacher assigns. Your homework should be completed on the due date before the start of class.

Will I need to pay for books?  Will I need to pay to take the industry exams?

We will provide books/workbooks for the students to use or borrow, so there will be no cost of materials. The cost of the exams is included with the courses.

What is the level of English I need to take the class?

For these classes, you should be at an intermediate level of English in reading, writing, and speaking. Students in HTM 124, 125, 101, and 230 will have a textbook, and you will need an intermediate level of comprehension to understand the material.

I am undocumented, can I still take the classes?

Yes, we welcome all students at adult school and at Skyline College. Students that are undocumented will be classified as nonresidents and will pay the nonresident tuition (approximately $2,400 for the entire program). However, undocumented students may apply for a scholarship if they decide to take all 7.5 units, and if they qualify, they will get their tuition fee reimbursed upon completion of the program

How much do the classes cost?

The cost for Hospitality ADVANCE is free. HTM 124, HTM 125, HTM 230, HTM 101 are college classes and may have tuition and fees associated.

We have scholarships available for nonresident students who are interested in taking all 7.5 units. If you agree to take 7.5 units, you can qualify for this scholarship and you will pay nothing. These scholarships are available for students who do not qualify for the California College Promise Grant. You must pass all your classes to get the scholarship.

We understand the cost is a concern for some of our students. You should anticipate taking 7.5 units. The fees for classes vary depending on residency status of students. Some students will pay resident tuition prices while others may be considered nonresident (http://www.skylinecollege.edu/fees/feetypes.php). Some students can also qualify for the California College Promise Grant (http://www.skylinecollege.edu/financialaid/feewaiver.php). Those that receive the California College Promise Grant do not have to pay for class fees and will only have to pay the student fees (approximately $1-$10 for the entire program).

We have dedicated staff (Lani Xiao at Jefferson Adult School and Nereida Angulo at South San Francisco Adult School) to help answer your financial questions and determine the best options for you.

Will there be internships available?

If you are interested in doing an internship in the hospitality field, please let us know and we will do our best to place you in one. You will need an updated resume to qualify for an internship.  Some of the adult school students have been successfully placed in internships and are now working in the hospitality field.

Will we go on any field trips?

Yes.  We will have some field trips to local hotels/restaurants and Skyline College.

What will students receive at the end of the bridge?

Students who complete Hospitality ADVANCE with 3 or fewer absences will earn the Hospitality ADVANCE certificate.

Students who complete all 7.5 units will receive the Skyline College Guest Service Entry-Level Professional Certificate: https://skylinecollege.edu/hospitality/degrees.php?program=HOSPGS-2C8

Students who complete all 7.5 units will also have the opportunity to take the Certified Guest Service Professional (GSP) exam through the American Hotel and Lodging Association and the ServSafe Responsible Alcohol Certification and the Food Handler Certification Exam. 

Here is a chart of the hospitality courses offered:

Fall 2019

Hospitality ADVANCE

Dates: 8/27 to 10/24

Cost: Free

# of weeks: 6

Units: 0


Upon completion: Hospitality ADVANCE 1 Certificate

HTM 124

Excellence in Guest Service

Dates:10/29 to 11/07

# of weeks: 2

Units: 0.5


Upon completion: Guest Service Gold Certificate and Pin (if pass GSG exam)


HTM 125

Restaurant and Banquet Operations

Dates: 11/12 to 12/12

# of weeks: 5

Units: 1


Upon completion: CA ServSafe Food Handlers' Certificate AND Responsibile Alcohol Certificates (if pass both exams)

Spring 2020

HTM 101

Introduction to Hospitality

Dates: TBA

# of weeks: 9

Units: 3



HTM 230

Hotel and Resort Management

Dates: TBA

# of weeks: 9

Units: 3


Upon completion (with HTM 124 & HTM 101: Skyline College Guest Service Entry-Level Professional Certificate


I am not currently working or intend to work in the hospitality industry. Is this class the right fit for me?

Hospitality ADVANCE is designed for students who are open to exploring the hospitality field. Even if you are not sure of your career goals, you should have some interest in the hospitality field.  This class may be a good way to find out more information about the hospitality field.