English Placement Testing
Placement tests are used to help you determine which English class will best prepare you to be successful in your college career.
What will the placement test cover?
The placement test will evaluate your reading comprehension and your understanding of writing at the sentence-level. Your results on these two tests will place you into English 828, 846, 100 or SEE COUNSELOR.
How do you prepare for the English placement test?
Review the online resources on this site for examples of test questions. Take your time as you test. Be well rested and give yourself enough time to arrive at the testing site so that you are in the right frame of mind to take the test.
What are the placement options?
If you are placed in…
- ENGL 828, Basic Composition and Reading. This course is a 5-unit course. There are two paths that you can take to get to transfer-level English 100.
- Path 1 (traditional path) starts with English 828 (5 units), a course that provides practice in writing and reading. This course is followed by English 846 (5 units), a course that prepares you to write college essays.
- Path 2 (accelerated path) allows you to skip English 828 (5 units), and move directly into English 846 (5 units). This path provides additional support to ensure your success in English 846. You are required to enroll in LSKL 836 (0.5 units), which provides supplemental tutoring. If you decide to enroll in English 846, make sure to select a section from the Accelerated Path in the course schedule.
- ENGL 846, Reading and Writing Connections. This course is a 5-unit course that introduces students to college-level reading and writing.
- ENGL 100, Composition. This course is a 3-unit course that teaches critical thinking, reading and writing. This course is transferable to University of California (UC) and California State Universities (CSU).
After the English placement test, how do you decide which English course to enroll in?
After you take the placement test and have received your scores, you will receive information about your placement. You can contact the English department or your counselor for more information about the Accelerated Path.
Where and when can you take the placement test?
Placement tests are held at the Testing Center at Bldg. 2, room 2232. Please check the posted hours of operation at the Testing Center or by visiting the website at www.skylinecollege.edu/placement.
Can anyone be excused from taking the English Placement tests?
Yes. The following students may be exempt from taking the placement test :
- completed an English course at another college that is equivalent to ENGL 828, ENGL 846, and/or ENGL 100
- taken the English placement test at another California Community College
You may fill out a Prerequisite Equivalency Petition form, attach an unofficial academic transcript, and submit it to the Counseling Counter for a counselor review. The on-duty counselor will evaluate your petition to verify the equivalency to Skyline College’s course sequence.
What can you do if you believe that the placement test scores do not accurately predict your preparedness for success in a particular English class?
You can go through the Prerequisite Challenge Petition process with the Language Arts Department located Bldg. 8, room 8112.