The Social Justice League Learning Community is an exciting new Learning Community designed for TRiO, the YES Program for current and former Foster Youth and students wanting to learn how to use their education to address social justice issues in their communities.
The Social Justice League combines Math, English and Communications to study real-world social issues, such as poverty, homelessness, equality, food security, environment preservation, and women's rights, among others.
Students will learn how to ask critical questions, research real-life problems, and effectively communicate research through writing and public speaking. They will become empowered to create global change and justice for all.
Social Justice League Courses
- ENGL 846: Connections in Reading and Writing (5 Units)
- COUN 100: College Success (3 Units)
Plus one of the following
- MATH 110: Elementary Algebra (5 Units)
- MATH 190: Path to Statistics (6 Units)
- ENGL 100: Composition (3 Units)
- COMM 110 Public Speaking (3 Units)
Plus one of the following:
- MATH 120: Intermediate Algebra (5 Units)
- MATH 200: Elementary Probability & Statistics (4 Units)
What you'll get from Social Justice League:
- A support system to help you over the hurdles of collegiate life
- Contextualized learning environment
- Linked courses
- Leadership development
- Student-centric activities (e.g. speakers)
- Social and environment rights events
- Transfer information and student success skills
- The writing skills and one-on-one tutoring essential to college success