2017 Spring Musical
In The Heights
By Lin-Manuel Miranda
"In The Heights" is the Tony Award-winning Best Musical (2008) by Lin-Manuel Miranda,
the composer and lyricist of the current Broadway hit "Hamilton." In this exciting
musical, we encounter residents of Washington Heights -- a New York City neighborhood
on the brink of change.
In the opening scene, Usnavi - a first-generation Dominican-American corner bodega owner introduces his neighborhood family and friends dealing with the pressures of rising rents and closing neighborhood businesses. Kevin and Camila Rosario (the owners of the local taxi dispatch) struggle to figure out how to pay for an Ivy League tuition for their brilliant and hard working daughter, Nina. At the same time, Vanessa, a hair stylist who works across the street and Usnavi's love interest, dreams of escaping to a studio apartment in the East Village, while Usnavi dreams of returning to the Dominican Republic to reconnect with his roots after the death of his parents.
In Washington Heights, community is everything, and we see how this group of neighbors, friends, and family struggle to survive and then come together as a community to mourn their losses and rejoice in their triumphs. Over the course of the show, we see the hard-working residents of Washington Heights grapple with love and lust, identity and racism, all while the prospect of a winning lottery ticket hangs in the air, potentially changing the livelihoods of the people and the community forever. This revolutionary new musical combines Latin rhythms and dance with hip-hop lyrics to tell a captivating story about what it means to chase your dreams as you cling to your roots, and to celebrate the community from which you grew
The Spring Musical will be fully staged and performed with a live student pit band in the Main Theater.
The 2017 Spring Musical Performance Dates will be Friday April 21 at 7:30 p.m., Saturday April 22 at 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, April 23 at 2 p.m..
Participating in the Spring Musical
Students who missed the October auditions may still join the production in ensemble roles at the beginning of the Spring 2017 semester. Please enroll in the two classes listed below and come to the 1st class meeting on Tuesday, January 17, 2017. There will be a short audition (no need to prepare) to learn about your singing and dancing abilities. Principal and supporting roles were cast in October 2016.
Enrollment in Voice and Dance Classes
Students participating in the Spring Musical must enroll in two classes at Skyline College for the Spring 2016 semester that meet on Tuesday and Thursdays from 11:30 a.m. - 2:45 p.m beginning on Tuesday, January 17, 2017.
- Mus 410.1 AX (CRN 44465) Voice for the Musical Theater Production
- Dance 410.1 BX (CRN 44282) Dance for the Musical Theater Production
Rehearsals take place during class times. Some additional rehearsals outside of class times are required during the month leading up to the performances.
Students must also clear the following TENTATIVE day/times in their schedules for tech week and production week rehearsals and performances:
- Thursday 3/16 - President's Breakfast Performance; 6:30-9:30 AM
- Monday 4/10 Tech Rehearsal & Cue to Cue Run-through; 12-6 pm
- Tuesday 4/11 Piano Dress 1 during class time;11:30 - clear until 4 pm; (tentative 12:30 pm curtain)
- Thursday 4/13 Piano Dress 2 during class time; 11:30 - clear until 4 pm (tentative 12:30 pm curtain)
- Friday 4/14 Piano Dress 3; 'Press' invited; call 12:30 noon - Curtain 2 pm
- Monday 4/17 Sitzprobe 7-10 p.m. (Musical run-through with pit orchestra); Call at 6 pm for mics
- Tuesday 4/18- Full Dress 1 Curtain 7:30 p.m; Call 5 p.m.
- Thursday 4/20 Full Dress 2 Curtain 7:30 p.m; Call 5 p.m.
- Friday 4/21 Performance 7:30 p.m.; Call 5 p.m. (LOBBY opens at 6; Theater Doors open at 7)
- Saturday 4/22 Performance 7:30 p.m.; Call 5 p.m. (LOBBY opens at 6; Theater Doors open at 7)
- Sunday 4/23 Performance 2 p.m.; Call 11:30 a.m. (Strike immediately afterwards until complete - bring work gloves and boots; end 12 midnight) (LOBBY opens at 1; Theater Doors open at 1:30)
- Friday 5/12 Skyline College Spring Dance Show; 12-4 p.m. and 5-10 p.m. (Shows at 2 and 7 p.m.)