The mission of the Skyline College Women's Mentoring and Leadership Academy (WMLA) is empowering and transforming women at Skyline College to achieve personal and professional growth. We seek to accomplish this mission by providing women in the SMCCCD, who take classes at Skyline College, with social and academic support via individual, group, and peer mentoring, and through leadership development opportunities. WMLA aims to provide contextualized and experiential learning that will foster intellectual, cultural, social, economic, and personal fulfillment for women who participate in the academy. The Women’s Mentoring and Leadership Academy welcomes all students who identify as female/women regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation, or year in school.
For students who identify as male/men, please refer to the Brothers Achieving Milestones (BAM) program.
Goals for students who participate in the Women’s Mentoring and Leadership Academy are:
- Personal and Professional Goal Attainment: Acquire knowledge regarding how to reach educational, career, personal and financial goals
- Building Healthy Relationships: Build healthy interpersonal and intercultural relationships
- Communication Skill Development: Develop effective interpersonal and intercultural communication skills
- Identity Development: Identify how communication, culture and experiences inform individuals' personal, social and cultural identities
- Leadership Development: Develop and hone leadership and workforce readiness skills
- Experiential Learning and Civic Engagement: Gain local and global experiences through service learning, civic engagement, and study abroad