What library services and resources are available to online education students at Skyline College?
Skyline College online education students can access library resources, including articles, research guides, reference sources, e-books and streaming videos, from any computer with internet access. Librarians can be contacted by phone, email, chat, and text. There are, however, certain resources provided by the library (such as reserve textbooks, DVDs, etc.) that can only be accessed in person at the library. Online education students are welcomed and encouraged to visit the library in person at any time.
If you do not have a library card
Students enrolled exclusively in online education courses at Skyline College may conduct research using Library databases remotely using a Peninsula Library System (PLS) library card. PLS includes all public and community college libraries in San Mateo County and any resident may get a free library card from any of those libraries. If you are enrolled exclusively in online education courses at Skyline College, but you do not have a PLS library card and are unable to come to a library to get a card, complete the Online Education Library Access Application Form to apply for a library barcode number. After we verify that you are a student enrolled exclusively in online courses, we will email you a library barcode number that will enable you to remotely access Skyline College Library's online research databases for up to one semester.
Please note that you will not be able to check out physical library books or other physical materials with this barcode number. To borrow books and other library materials you must successfully apply for a library card which requires that you come into Skyline College Library or any other PLS Library and present a photo ID and proof of your current mailing address.
How to access online library resources
Search for most resources on our Search page.
- Books: The Skyline College Library shares a library catalog with all of the public libraries in San Mateo County (PLS). Use the PLS library catalog to search for books (both print and electronic), DVDs, CDs, and other library material. You can place items on hold and have them sent to your closest San Mateo County public library.
- eBooks: As a Skyline College student you have access to a wide variety of books that you can access and read electronically on your laptop, PC, iPad, iPhone, Kindle, and other personal reader devices (view eReader devices page to see supported formats) for a limited period of time. After your check-out period has expired you will have to check it out again online. Many eBooks don't allow multiple user access at one time, so if there's a eBook you want and it's "checked out", check back at a later date. If you are having trouble viewing eBooks on your reading device, please refer to the manufacturer's website or manual.
- Magazine, Journal and Newspaper Articles: the Skyline College Library has subscriptions to many databases containing full-text magazine, newspaper and journal articles across a variety of subjects. To access databases you need an active PLS Library card. You can see a complete list of our article databases, browse databases by subject, or search for accessible publication titles to locate specific articles.
- Encyclopedias, Dictionaries and Other Reference Sources: Access Skyline College Library's variety of online reference databases. Requires PLS Library card.
- Streaming Videos: Access Skyline College Library's academic streaming video databases.
Skyline College Library only guarantees library access to San Mateo County public libraries, so contact the circulation or reference desk of any other libraries you'd like to visit to find out about borrowing and access privileges.
How to contact a librarian
To contact a librarian by phone or via email, see our Ask a Librarian page.