In 1957, the San Mateo Junior College District Board of Trustees developed a 25-year District master plan based on the recommendations of a citizens' advisory committee, and the same year submitted a $5.9 million bond issue to voters that was approved by a three-to-one margin.
The bond issue victory cleared the way for prompt acquisition of the present College of San Mateo campus and also provided funds for purchase of a 111-acre site west of Skyline Boulevard and south of Sharp Park Road in San Bruno. A third site, of 131 acres west of the Farm Hill subdivision on the Redwood City-Woodside line, was purchased in 1962.
The current College of San Mateo campus was opened in 1963, followed by Cañada College, Redwood City, in 1968, and Skyline College, San Bruno, in 1969. Construction of Cañada and Skyline Colleges were made possible in large part from proceeds from a second bond issue of $12.8 million approved by District voters in March, 1964.
Skyline College has offered world-class educational opportunities to the community of San Bruno and beyond since it opened in fall 1969. The college has become a pillar in the community, seeking to inspire a global and diverse community of learners to achieve intellectual, cultural, social, economic and personal fulfillment. We look forward to continuing to provide quality education and achieving our mission of empowering and transforming a global community of learners in the next 50 years.