Meet Chelsea Terrell the new NBC Universal Summer Intern!

11111“Without the Skyline College Career Center I would not have learned about this wonderful opportunity, and I thank the Career Center for their help and support.”
Chelsea was introduced to Skyline College Career Services through her participation in National Trio Day in February. Chelsea was intrigued by the internship presentation component of the general session, and decided to schedule a career counseling appointment to help with her career goals. Chelsea, who has been an intern with the Skyline College’s Baseball Team, was uncertain which direction her interests would lead for her careerpath; she wanted a career that would allow her to work in sports, but was uncertain what options were available in this area. After meeting with a Career Counselor, Alex Jones, she learned about NBC Universal’s paid Summer Internship Program and completed her resume, interview prep, and application. Chelsea realized her passion for Communications, and decided to change her major from Business to Communications. During the Summer, Chelsea will be working as an intern for PR/ Field Operations for the San Francisco Giants and Oakland A’s through NBC Universal. Congratulations Chelsea!

CPMC Program participant gains acceptance into the Cañada Radiology Program!

2222222222Congratulations to Benedict Chan for being accepted into the Cañada Radiology Program! Benedict was part of the first CPMC (California Pacific Medical Center) Externship cohort. Since Fall 2013, Benedict has been completing his hours of training at St. Luke’s Radiology Department. He recently informed the Career Center that beginning Summer 2014, he will take Radiology courses at Cañada. Benedict was 1 out of the 93 well qualified students selected for 20 vacant spots, and said he felt the CPMC Program helped prepare him for the next steps in his career. Rafael Rivera, professor of Radiologic Technology, indicated that the applicants for this year’s cohort were some of the most qualified and prepared applicants he has seen.

“I feel this internship really helped me focus on my goals. Through my experience, I’ve been able to build relationships with people in the field; I received valuable mentorship and guidance that helped me maximize my learning experience. Also, I feel the technologist provided me with more opportunities to learn based off my measurable learning objectives created during the Skyline’s Externship Program. I feel they took me more seriously because I was a part of a school program rather than a person volunteering on their own. ”

Skyline College Literacy Intervention Community Program completes its first year!

333333333333With the support of the Principal of Los Cerritos, President Stanback Stroud’s endorsement (as featured in the 14th Annual President’s Breakfast video) and the community’s involvement, the Literacy Intervention Community Program has been renewed for an additional academic year! Just this past year, 25 selected Skyline College students, 20 local high school students and multiple community members have provided tutoring services for 50-60 elementary students referred to the program by Los Cerritos faculty. We would like to thank everyone for their support and look forward to another wonderful year!

CPMC Externship 2nd Cohort Complete. Will expand to Mills Peninsula Fall 2014!!!

The CPMC’s first year cohort is complete! 50 students have completed the program, and have provided over 5,000 hours of service to all of the CPMC campuses. Stay tuned for Fall 2014 !!! The hospital externship program will be revamped during Summer 2014, and will extend to Mills Peninsula for Fall 2014. We will have new opportunities in business, human resources and health informatics.

Article by Lavinia Zanassi, Alex Jones and Brian Jenney