If you are receiving this newsletter and would like to discontinue receiving it, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will remove you from the distribution list.
Many of you submit material to be included in Skyline Shines. Thanks so much for taking to time to help me keep the college informed. Here are a few guidelines that will facilitate the publication of Skyline Shines each week:
- Send submission to email@example.com
- Submit your article by 2:00 p.m. on Thursdays; articles received after this time will appear in the following week¹s issue.
- Attach pictures to be included in the article to the email. Please do not paste them in the Word document as previously requested.
- Please submit photos that are less than 1mb in size.
- Don’t forget to add a headline/title to the article.
- Please make sure to indicate who wrote the article and who took the photos. We like to give writer and photographer credits.
- Use the following commonly accepted abbreviations: a.m. or p.m. (i.e. The event will be held from 8:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m. The workshop is scheduled to run from 9:30 a.m.-Noon.)
- Spell out numbers of one or two words. Use figures for numbers that require more than two words to spell out. (i.e., Almost eight years ago I began taking ceramics courses. And I counted 176 records on the shelf).
- If a sentence begins with a number, spell out the number or rewrite the sentence.
- Use the month, day, a comma and the year to indicate the date (i.e., March 4, 2011 not March 4th, 2011 or March 2nd, 2011).
- Add the word College when you refer to the name Skyline (i.e., Skyline College instead of Skyline).
Do you have a suggestion?
One way to submit it is through our general Suggestion Box.
For state level information on community colleges, see these websites:
The California Community College Chancellor¹s Office in Sacramento: http://www.cccco.edu/
The Community College League of California: http://www.ccleague.org/
Friday, February 7, 2014
- 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., African American Heritage Month – HIV AIDS Awareness Informational Sharing, Skyline College, Building 4, Fireside Dining Room
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., LASO Club Meeting, Skyline College, Building 4, Room 4240
- 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Men’s Basketball vs. Foothill College (DH), Skyline College
- 8:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Women’s Basketball vs. San Jose City College (DH), Skyline College
Monday, February 10, 2014
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., African American Heritage Month – Financial Aid & Scholarship Resources Workshop, Skyline College, Building 6, Room 6204
- 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Science in Action Lecture Series, Skyline College, Building 7, Room 7106
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
- 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., African American Heritage Month – Day of Healing: Love yourself; Love your Culture Display / Program, Skyline College, Building 6, Room 6202
- 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m., Financial Aid Application Labs, Skyline College, Building 2, Room 2117-B
- 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., Skyline College Speaks Sustainability Forum, Skyline College, Building 2, Room 2306
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., African American Heritage Month – Career Pathways: African American Perspective Workshop, Skyline College, Building 1, Room 1219B
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., Career Pathways: African American Perspective, Skyline College, Building 1, Room 1219B
- 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., Financial Aid Application Labs, Skyline College, Building 2, Room 2117B
Thursday, February 13, 2014
- All Day Event, Scholarships Opportunities, Skyline College, Building 2, Room 2234
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., Resume Essentials, Skyline College, Building 1, Room 1219 B
- 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Financial Aid Application Lab, Skyline College, Building 2, Room 2117B
- 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Career Panel Workshop (Enactus), Skyline College, Building 6, Room 6202
Friday, February 14, 2014
- 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., Women’s Basketball vs. Chabot (DH), Chabot College, Hesperian Boulevard, Hayward
- 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Men’s Basketball vs. Chabot College (DH), Chabot College, Hesperian Boulevard, Hayward
As we continue to achieve new milestones at the San Mateo Athletic Club (SMAC), we are pleased to be able to announce a dues rollback for staff of the District which was approved by the Board of Trustees at it’s meeting on December 11, 2013. Since SMAC opened, Chancellor Ron Galatolo has insisted that as the club achieves financial success, he would recommend to the Board that rates for staff be lowered. Details of the new rates for the regular and non-prime time plans are as follows:
Faculty/Staff Monthly Dues Non Prime Time
Individual $35 $17.50
Couple $60 $30.00
Family $80 $40.00
The health and wellness of our team is very important to us. We are pleased to initiate this dues rollback effective February 1, 2014. As SMAC continues to grow, we will continue to offer staff incentives to membership.
If you have any questions about your membership or about becoming a member yourself, please call San Mateo Athletic Club and speak with a Membership Team representative at (650) 378-7373.
Article by Tom Bauer.
Come and visit the Skyline College Library to experience the inspiring Allensworth exhibit. The historic town of Allensworth tells a story of the all-black settlement in California’s Central Valley. The exhibit is a great representation of self-determination for all Californians in the areas of education and economic development. The exhibit at Skyline College is a collaborative effort between the Bay Area CITD, the African Diaspora Program at Skyline College and the African American Museum & Library of Oakland.
Monday through Thursday: 8am until 9pm
Friday: 8am until 2pm
Saturday: 10am until 2pm
If you would like to bring your class on a guided tour of the exhibit, or for more information on the African Diaspora Program please contact, Pcyeta Stroud at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Article written by Pcyeta Stroud. Flyers by Elizabeth Tablan.
The 2014-2015 President’s Innovation Fund Applications are available. The applications are due to Theresa Tentes in the President’s Office Monday, April 7, 2014 by 5:00 p.m. Don’t miss this opportunity to realize your vision for these special programs, services and events! To download the application, please visit President’s Innovation Fund.
Women on Writing
A Morning of Readings and Refreshments
Saturday, March 15, 2014
9:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Student & Community Center
Building 6, Room 6202
You are cordially invited to a festive morning of readings, conversation and conviviality. This year WOW! is scaling back from a day-long conference, and we’re delighted to host a lively morning event to celebrate the WOW! community and creative spirit. Acclaimed authors Caroline Goodwin and Kirstin Valdez Quade kick off the program by reading their work, and then we’ll enjoy an Open Reading. Please join us!
Kirstin Valdez Quade
Stanford University Creative Writing Program
Author of fiction in The New Yorker, Narrative, Guernica, The Best American Short Stories 2013, and elsewhere
Poet Laureate of San Mateo County California College of the Arts MFA Program Stanford University Writer’s Studio
Author of Trapline and Kodiak Herbal
For more information, contact Kathleen McClung at email@example.com.
SparkPoint at Skyline College and the Business Division, in partnership with Earn it! Keep it! Save it!, are excited to announce free income tax preparation assistance for students, faculty, staff and community members (households that earned less than $52,000 in 2013).
Taxes will be prepared every Saturday, February 1 to Saturday, March 29, 2014 (except February 15), from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Building 8, Room 8209. Please call SparkPoint at Skyline College at (650) 738-7035 to make an appointment.
Last year, student volunteers from Instructor John Miller’s Volunteer Income Tax Preparation (VITA) class were able to complete over 280 tax returns, resulting in over $297,000 being returned to the community. We expect to complete even more returns this year, so book your appointment today!
For more information about VITA, please visit Sparkpoint.
Nominations due by February 10, 2014 – 12 Noon
The California Community Colleges Board of Governors created the Classified Employee of the Year Award honoring community college classified employees who demonstrate the highest level of commitment to professionalism and community colleges. Every college district is invited to submit a nominee. Nominees must be classified employees with a minimum of 5 years of service as a permanent employee within the nominating Community College District (full-time or part-time).
All nominees will be evaluated on their commitment to the mission of community colleges; professional ethics and standards; serving the institution through participation in professional and/or community activities; and serving as a leader beyond the local institution. A $500 cash award and plaque will be presented to each statewide recipient at the May 2014 meeting of the Board of Governors. Any one may nominate an employee consistent with the criteria set by the CCC Board of Governors
Each district is allowed to submit one nomination. SMCCCD is soliciting the names of four proposed nominees, one each from the three colleges and the district office. At its February 26, 2014 meeting, The SMCCCD Board of Trustees will select one of the four nominees to submit to the Board of Governors. All four of the nominees will be recognized at the District Board meeting.
In 2009, using the College Council adopted process; Skyline College submitted the name of Barbara Daley who was subsequently selected by the SMCCCD Board as their nominee. Barbara Daley went on to become one of only five people statewide selected by the CCC Board of Governors. Subsequent nominations from Skyline College include Pat Carter, Sue Lorenzo, Maria Norris and Nancy Argarin.
The criteria and nominating form are available online on the right side of the main page of the Chancellor’s office website at http://extranet.cccco.edu/SystemOperations/BoardofGovernors/RecognitionandAwards.aspx
Here you will find the Guidelines and Instructions and the Nomination Form. Anyone can make a nomination. Simply submit the completed nomination form in electronic format to Theresa Tentes at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, February 10, 2014 at 12 p.m. A special meeting of the College Council will to screen the nominations and select a Skyline College nominee in time for the February 26, 2014 agenda packet for the SMCCCD Board of Trustees’ meeting.
Article by Dr. Regina Stanback Stroud.
Do you use SharePoint? If yes, then we have some great news!!!! We are upgrading from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2013 in the next 3 weeks.
Now is your chance to see your site in the new system and kick the tires before we launch the new version.
- New Upgraded Interface
- Edit Documents Online
- Drag and Drop Uploading
- Easier Collaboration
- Better Integration with Office 2013
- Annoying Login Prompts Gone
- More Robust MySites (like having our own Facebook)
- Easily Save Docs Directly to Sharepoint
Note: The website address (URL) for the new version of SharePoint is different and if you are linking to it from other sites you will need to update those links when we go live with the new version.
Sharepoint 2013 Quickstart Guide:
Don’t have a SharePoint site but want to take a peek at the new version? Check out the Skyline College SharePoint site:
https://smccd.sharepoint.com/sites/sky (requires you login with your email address and password)
Article by Jasmine Witham.