Apply to a Career Advancement Academy Program
You can apply to one of the four CAA Pathways by submitting the CAA Online Application and then following the application steps below.
BEFORE applying for the CAA, please make sure you are enrolled as a Skyline College student.
And AFTER you submit the CAA Online Application, please schedule a placement test through WEBSMART if you have not previously taken a Skyline College placement test. Students who have already completed placement tests do not need to retake these tests for the CAA program.
- Submit Application: Fill our and submit the CAA Online Application. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. After applying, you'll receive an "admitted' email with information on the CAA orientation date. Orientation is mandatory for enrollment in CAA courses.
- Determine your Math and English Level: You may need to take an assessment test to determine the right level of Math and English for you. For more information about this process, please contact CAA counselor, Lorraine DeMello who will schedule group assessment dates. Make sure that you are available to make these dates or please schedule an alternate date for your assessment.
- Attend Orientation: Orientation will be scheduled roughly one week before classes begin. During orientation you will meet with CAA counselor, Lorraine De Mello, who will discuss your placement results and help you register for the CAA courses that are right for you. For more information about orientation, visit the San Mateo CAA website http://www.skylinecollege.edu/caa/ or visit us at the Skyline Campus in Building 1, Room 1311 or call (650) 738-4185.
- Group Registration: The group registration allows you to add courses together with your cohort. You will be provided with information about course enrollment, program procedures, college policies, student services, academic expectations, and information on how to accomplish your educational goals. For more information about group registration, visit the CAA office at the Skyline Campus in Building 1, Room 1311 or call (650) 738-4185 to speak with a CAA counselor.
Things to Consider Before You Apply
- Plan and Prepare: Making the decision to enroll in school is no small matter. You will have demands on your time and money. You will probably have to change your lifestyle and your environment to adjust to your school schedule and meet all of your other obligations. Think long and hard about the amount of time it will take each day to successfully complete the program. Plan for a minimum of two hours a day for studying and homework; you are about to make a big commitment. Make sure all of your family and friends know that you are in school. You will find that they will be surprisingly supportive. Create an area or find a place where you can study with minimal interruptions. Make sure you have good lighting and are comfortable enough to sit for a long period of time.
- Explore and Research Program(s): Determining the best program for you is going to take some thought. Make a list of your favorite things to do. Write them in order of importance; see if any of your interests match with the career programs that are offered. The career that matches the most interests is probably the best choice for you. Money is important, but ultimately you will find that doing something you enjoy is worth more than gold. If you are still not sure, talk to a CAA counselor. A counselor will be able to help you decide what program works for you. Once you have decided on a career program that matches your interest, find out all you can about it. The more you know about your field of interest the more opportunities you will discover and the more focused you will become.
- Apply: Applying for school is probably the easiest step. Moving forward with your life plan is exciting! Make sure you have all the necessary paperwork turned in and that you have a good understanding of your schedule. A CAA counselor will also be available to assist you through this process and answer any questions you might have about your application. Make sure you keep a copy of everything you submit in case something is misplaced.
- Paying for College: A huge benefit of enrolling in the CAA is that we can help you find the resources you need to pay for college. There are special programs, fee waivers, and scholarships available to you! Start familiarizing yourself with resources by checking Skyline’s financial aid page. The CAA also has access to support services at the SparkPoint Center at Skyline College. SparkPoint can help you manage the challenges of being a student. A Sparkpoint financial advisor can help you create a budget and find the resources that will help you to stay committed to the program. Money will be tight, but a good budget can help you spend your money the right way. SparkPoint at Skyline College is located at Skyline College (Bldg. 1 Floor 2), 3300 College Drive in San Bruno, 650-738-7035.
- College Success: One of the greatest benefits of the CAA programs is our learning community model. This means you’re not alone; your peers can help you and know exactly what you are going through. We are also here to help! Your success is our top priority. Our goal is to provide a supportive, educational experience through meaningful courses and supportive instructors, counselors, and staff members. Finding support is the key to your success!