The Skyline College Promise
Promise Scholars Program
The Promise Scholars Program provides financial, academic, and guidance support for students recently graduated from high school, GED, or adult continuation programs who are enrolled full-time at Skyline College:
- Financial support — the first year at Skyline College is free (the Promise Scholarship covers fees, textbooks are provided, and a monthly stipend covers transportation to and from school)
- Academic support — a Summer Institute to accelerate students who enter college below transfer-level, need-based tutoring, and proactive performance monitoring and interventions
- Structured guidance — dedicated need-based counseling, group advising workshops, a 150:1 student-counselor ratio, access to a peer-mentor program and engaged peer community, and personalized career development
The Promise Scholars Program — currently available to first-year students — aims to increase both persistence and graduation rates by ensuring a strong start to college.
We’re designing guided pathways through academic programs to integrate student services and instruction — creating a cohesive student experience that facilitates goal completion.
Guided pathways provide structure that ensures the most efficient journey to
graduation. They include:
- On-ramp processes to help students begin their college experience
- Intake processes, like Meta Majors, to help students clarify college and careers goals
- Intentional course sequences with clearly defined career and academic milestones
- Embedded counseling, academic support, and proactive feedback on student progress throughout their educational journey
Transformative Teaching & Learning
Skyline College fosters transformative teaching and learning — holistic, relevant, and accessible — that empowers student growth and advances equity by:
- Infusing subjects with more meaning and value using innovative, culturally conscious teaching and learning models
- Proactively guiding and supporting students throughout their education journey with easily identified and accessed high-impact programs and services (i.e., integrated career exploration, personalized counseling, automated progress reporting)
- Operationalizing professional development to equip faculty and staff to lead their fields, innovate and set new standards, and improve instructional efficacy
We are creating an intentionally inclusive, accessible, and embracing educational environment — so students feel like college is for them, championing their success.