Placement tests help Skyline College know which ESOL class you need to prepare yourself for your college career.
Which test should I take – ESOL, or English?
You should take the ESOL Placement Test if you answer "No" to ANY of the below questions:
- Have you lived in the US for six years of more?
- Do you speak mostly English with family and friends?
- Are you comfortable writing in English?
- Can you understand basic instructions in English?
What is on the ESOL placement test?
The ESOL placement test will evaluate your reading comprehension, language use, and listening skills. Your results on these three tests will place you into the ESOL classes.
How can I prepare for the ESOL placement test?
- For a few days before the test, make sure you do some reading, writing, speaking, and listening all in English.
- Schedule two (2) separate testing appointments to take all of your ESOL and Math placement tests (~2 1/2 to 3 hours). Give yourself enough time to arrive at the testing site so that you will not feel rushed.
- Review Sample Questions before your test.
- Get plenty of rest before the test.
What do my placement results mean?
If you are placed in…
Pre-Level 2: Skyline College does not offer a full series of classes at this level. Students who place into this level should attend one or more semesters of adult school. Please contact Jefferson Adult School or South San Francisco Adult School to enroll in classes. Visit the English Language Institute in room 1218 for help.
Level 2 (ESOL 852, ESOL 820): Students should take classes at this level. Visit the English Language Institute in room 1218 for help.
Level 3 (ESOL 853, ESOL 830): Students should take classes at this level. Visit the English Language Institute in room 1218 for help.
Level 4 (ESOL 854, ESOL 840): Students should take classes at this level. Visit the English Language Institute in room 1218 for help.
Level 5 (ESOL 400, ESOL 875): ESOL 400 is a 5-unit, very academically rigorous course that prepares students to take college English (ENGL 100). ESOL 875 is strongly recommended for success in ESOL 400. Visit the English Language Institute in room 1218 for help.
Where and when can I take the placement test?
Placement tests are held at the Assessment Center at Bldg. 2, computer lab 2116. Please check the posted hours of operation at the Testing Center or by visiting the website at www.skylinecollege.edu/placement.
What if I don't believe my placement results are accurate?
Visit the English Language Institute in room 1218 to talk with an ESOL faculty or counselor about your placement test results. There is a Prerequisite Challenge Petition process for ESOL 400.