Application for Peer Tutor
The Peer Tutor Position in the Learning Center (TLC) involves working one-on-one and in groups tutoring students, providing information and referrals to students and faculty, helping students access the services provided in the Learning Center, undergoing tutor training, and working with other tutors in mentoring relationships.
This is a part-time position. If qualifications for obtaining a paid position are met, the starting pay rate is $10.50 per hour.
- Enrolled in at least 3 units for summer, and at least 6 units fall and spring in the San Mateo Community College District (College of San Mateo, Skyline College, Canada College
- Reliable and able to support the philosophy and mission of TLC at Skyline College
- Enrolled in or completed Learning Skills 110 (LSKL 110) -- Note: Peer tutors will be hired from the pool of students completing LSKL 110 as the budget allows. An applicant does not have to complete LSKL 110 if s/he is CRLA certified or has verifiable proof of tutoring experience and completed tutor training at another college.
- For English and ESOL peer tutors: received a B or better in the transfer-level College Composition course (ENGL 100 at Skyline) and has a recommendation from an English or ESOL faculty member
- For Math peer tutors: received a B or better in Math 120: Intermediate Algebra
For Peer Tutors to complete before they begin tutoring:
- Shadow another tutor to observe good tutoring methods
- Complete designated training
- Depending upon tutor readiness, an unpaid probationary period may be required not to exceed six weeks
IMPORTANT: To complete your application, submit all of the following documents!
- Provide a brief cover letter, explaining why you would like to be a Peer Tutor and some of the qualities you will bring to the team.
- Provide an in-depth resume highlighting the positions and/or roles where you have successfully demonstrated your qualifications for this position.
- Provide an unofficial transcript -- this can be printed from WebSMART.
- Submit all the above items to Judith Cheung, Staff Assistant, Building 5, TLC.
Phone number: (650) 738-4144
- Complete all portions of the application form below: