The Equity Academies are professional development opportunities for leaders to immerse themselves into themed, multi-day experiences introducing participants to baseline concepts, interrogating data and mapping implementation strategy for participants to advance the equity-centered work at their respective institutions.
|Date:||June 12-14, 2019|
|Location:||San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport 1770 S. Amphlett Blvd. San Mateo, CA 94402|
|Registration:||This academy is open to all, however, the recommended audience for this academy is
Vice Presidents of Student Services, Counseling Deans, Counseling Faculty, Counseling
Chairs, Academic Senate Leadership, Professional Development Coordinators, and Counseling
Division Staff Members.
Counseling in the Era of Equity: Critical Competencies for Student Success
Colleges exist to provide high quality educational experience to students. Counseling faculty are essential to the success of students on their academic and professional journey. In our efforts to create more equitable educational institutions it is imperative that we develop transformative counseling philosophies and practices.
Counseling in the Era of Equity is an immersive professional development experience that engages counselors in the process of examining our current practices and exploring innovative pedagogical approaches that can be applied to the needs and goals of colleges as they make the transitions to Meta Majors and Guided Pathways.
The Counseling in the Era of Equity experience will:
- Engage counselors in a process that shifts their approach from “fixing” students to empowering students.
- Expose Counselors to innovative and practical pedagogical approaches to counseling.
- Develop a transformative College Success course outline.
- Co-create a counseling structural and pedagogical framework applicable to Guided Pathways, Meta Majors, and special programs.
The program features:
- Keynote speakers, Dr. Michael Benitez and Dr. Darrick Smith.
- A facilitated panel of equity-driven community college practitioners
- Four two-hour topical sessions throughout the academy experience
- The sessions are facilitated and designed for teams to work collaboratively and engage in multimedia activities, exercises and discussions.
Session Topics and Framework
Session I: The College Counselor: From Traditional to Transformative
Session II: Counseling Pedagogies: Centering Our Approach Toward Student Success
Session III: Towards a Transformative Student Success Course & 1-on-1 Counseling
Session IV: Counseling in the Era of Meta Majors & Guided Pathways
Wednesday, June 12
|Pre-Academy Reception||6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.|
Thursday, June 13
|Registration and Breakfast||8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.|
|Opening Keynote Address||8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.|
|The Equity Institute and the T3 Framework, Lasana O. Hotep||9:45 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.|
The College Counselor: From Traditional to Transformative
|10:35 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.|
|Lunch||12:30 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.|
Counseling Pedagogies: Centering Our Approach Toward Student Success
|2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.|
Friday, June 14
|Breakfast||8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.|
Towards a Transformative Student Success Course & 1-on-1 Counseling
|9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.|
|Lunch||11:15 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.|
Counseling in the Era of Meta Majors & Guided Pathways
|1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.|
|Closing Keynote Address||3:15 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.|
|Closing Remarks, Lesana O. Hotep||4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.|