ASTEP Mission Statement:
Provide an academic learning environment that encourages African-American students to achieve academic success, pursue career goals, and contribute to self, family and community.
ASTEP Vision Statement:
Creating a diverse community of educators working collectively to inspire students' intellectual achievements through cultural, social, economic and personal fulfillment.
ASTEP Value Statement:
Education is our passport into a democratic society of civility, truth, and reciprocity.
- Make sure every ASTEP student receives an AA/AS degree and transfers to a four year college or university.
- Provide student services to ensure academic success.
- Negotiate peer support for achievement.
- Providing cultural and enrichment activities.
- Develop political acumen for success and professional setting, in which they are racially under-represented.
- Develop a strong black identity, that produces leadership and activism within their communities.
- Acquire social capital and access to resources, politically wealthy persons, organizations and exclusive networks.
- Craft productive responses to stereotypes.
- Overcome previous educational and socio-economic disadvantages.
ASTEP Student Success Goals
- 84% of ASTEP students will demonstrate initiative and individual responsibility to persist from one academic year to the beginning of the next academic year.
- 85% of ASTEP students will maintain good academic standing (2.00 GPA) per semester with greater than 67% completion rate.
- 20% of ASTEP students will graduate with an associate degree or certificate within four years AND will transfer to a four year institution.