ASTEP Support Services
The program offers eligible students a rich variety of services intended to support their academic, personal, and social needs as they work to achieve their dreams. Such services include:
- Academic, career, and personal counseling
- Transfer planning and campus visits to four-year institutions
- Academic support, such as tutoring, study skills, workshops, mentors, and access to computers
- Financial aid, financial literacy, and scholarship assistance
- Cultural enrichment activities, such as museum visits, events, and performances
How do I get tutoring assistance if I’m in ASTEP?
To receive tutoring assistance, ASTEP students should enrolled in one of the following courses:
- MATH 110/120 - Mathematics Supplement* Individualized tutoring in math skills arranged and supervised in the Math & Sciences Lab.
- ENGL 846/100/110 - English Supplement* Individualized tutoring in reading and writing skills arranged and supervised in the Writing & Reading Lab.
- LSKL 853 - Supervised Supplemental Instruction* Individualized and/or group instruction in other subjects arranged and supervised by faculty and instructional aides in the Learning Center.
* Each course may be repeated for credit a maximum of three times.
Who do I work with?
- The ASTEP Coordinator is Nathan Jones. ASTEP applicants must complete an intake interview with ASTEP Coordinator to determine eligibility to participate in the program.
- The ASTEP Counselors are Kwame Thomas and Tim Dupre. Students need to meet with an ASTEP counselor twice a semester to update their educational plan, discuss academic support needs, and review transfer plans.
- For help with English, Reading, and ESOL, the English Lab Coordinator is Chanel Daniels. ASTEP students should make appointments with Professor Daniels to devise a study plan at the beginning of the semester.
- For help with math, ASTEP students should make appointments with Professor Phillip Williams to devise a study plan at the beginning of the semester.