ASTEP Learning Community
The Skyline College African-American Success Through Excellence and Persistence (ASTEP) Learning Community assists students of all ethnicities in identifying their abilities, strengths and talents. The program is designed to aid, support and encourage students to fulfill their academic and educational goals of transferring to a four-year college, university, or earning an Associate’s degree or vocational certificate. ASTEP courses are taught by an eclectic cohort of wonderfully motivated instructors whose goal is to create an engaging atmosphere where learning is innovative, artistic, and intellectually inspiring.
The ASTEP learning community offers students an opportunity to take a full assortment of university transfer-level courses which satisfy many general educational requirements. This community supports students by offering extra guidance and access to resources. ASTEP also creates cohorts where students spend four semesters together taking linked classes such as English, math, communication, and biology with ASTEP professors whose curricula have a common focus on themes from the African-American and African diasporic experience.
Check out the ASTEP Brochure.
All Learning Community Courses (search for ASTEP on the listings for ASTEP courses)
What can ASTEP offer you?
One-on-one Educational Guidance
- Student Orientation
- Regular meetings with ASTEP Counselor
- Individual meetings with Faculty and Facilitators
- Twice a month Faculty/Student meetings to monitor student's progress
- Academic learning forums
- Supplemental instruction provided in Math and English, including tutoring
Transfer/Leadership Development Services
- Transfer resources for historical black colleges and universities
- Computer skills development
- Student leadership training, through Skyline College student organizations such as Black Student Union, Associated Students of Skyline College (ASSC), and Campus Ambassadors
- Tours of California State University and University of California campuses, among others.
2014 ASTEP Commencement Photos